Saturday, May 29, 2010

Please Hold the Mayo

Some people love their mayonnaise. I tolerate it.

While I recognize the necessity for mayo in certain recipes, I tend to avoid it. There's just something about the smell and look of mayo that is completely unappetizing for me. I will eat potato salad, and I will overlook the use of mayo in spinach artichoke dip, but I steer clear of tuna sandwiches and secret sauce on hamburgers.

Sometimes, it's impossible to dodge this necessary evil. Last night I made Real Simple's Artichoke and Spinach Relish. Up until I added the mayonnaise, it sounded like addition to crackers. As I stirred the mayo in, I found myself suddenly disgusted by the relish. Then I started to panic a little and wondered if it would taste good. I knew I just couldn't make myself taste it, so I read the comments online, and they seemed positive, so I decided to bring the relish to the party I attended earlier today.

My cousin Mr. T. was the guinea pig, and he liked it. So, I bit the bullet and had a taste. Surprisingly, it was tasty. I'm not sure that I would make this again, but it's good and easy enough to make.

Artichoke and Spinach Relish
by Real Simple

INGREDIENTS
1/4 cup walnuts
1 13.75-ounce can artichoke hearts, rinsed and chopped
1 cup baby spinach, chopped
1/4 cup grated Parmesan (about 1 ounce)
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 t kosher salt
1/8 t black pepper
crackers and cut-up vegetables, for serving

DIRECTIONS
Heat oven to 400º F.

Spread the walnuts on a rimmed baking sheet and toast, tossing occasionally, until fragrant, 6 to 8 minutes. Let cool, then roughly chop.*

In a small bowl, combine the artichoke hearts, spinach, Parmesan, mayonnaise, lemon juice, walnuts, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Serve with the crackers and vegetables.

*I used pre-chopped walnuts, so I toasted mine on the stove-top.

1 comment:

  1. who are you? you can't be my friend if you dont like mayo.

    ReplyDelete