Surprise, surprise, this newborn-sized hat is for Mindy Metivier Photography. It's made out of Lion Brand's Nature's Choice Organic Cotton Yarn in pistachio, using size 6 (16-inch circular) and size 5 (double-pointed) needles. The i-cord tie is only about three inches, and next time I will make it longer.
The hat with the brim rolled up.
- Cast on 60 stitches. Join in the round, and work 6 rows of K3 P3 ribbing.
- From row 7 on, knit until hat measures 4.5", including the ribbing.
- Row 1 of decrease: *K4, K2tog; repeat from * until end (50 stitches remain).
- Rows 2 and 3: Knit all stitches.
- Row 4: *K3, K2tog; repeat from * until end (40 stitches remain).
- Rows 5 and 6: Knit all stitches.
- Row 7: *K2, K2tog; repeat from * until end (30 stitches remain).
- Row 8: Knit all stitches.
- Row 9: *K1; K2tog; repeat from * until end (20 stitches remain).
- Row 10: *K2tog; repeat from *until end (10 stitches remain).
- Row 11; *K2tog; repeat from * to end of round (5 stitches remain).
- Knit the five remaining stitches, but do not turn; instead slide the stitches to the opposite end of the needle (from left side to the right). The yarn will be on the left, but pull it around the back so it's on the right, and knit each stitch again. Repeat until i-cord measures desired length. As you pull the yarn from left to right, behind the knitted piece, the i-cord will close on itself.
- Bind off and weave in ends.