Friday, June 21, 2013

Like YA Fiction? Then Read Matched.

Matched (Matched, #1)Matched by Ally Condie

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


When I willingly forgo sleep on a work night and seriously contemplate removing myself from any and all social activity just so I can read, I know it’s book obsession. It didn’t take long with Ally Condie’s Matched trilogy.

This dystopian series hooked me in pretty early; which surprised me because I wasn’t expecting much. And I wasn’t expecting much because I did something bad, and I judged a book by its cover. Terrible, I know. But I couldn’t help it. I had never heard for the series or author before, and my favorite librarian suggested it to me because she knew about my love for young adult fiction. It didn’t help knowing that I was getting into another dystopian series. After the Hunger Games, I’ve steered clear of such novels because I loved those books so much.

If you’re at all concerned that this might be too much like Suzanne Collins’ world, don’t be. In Condie’s dystopian society, everyone is happy – or so they think. The government in power known as “the Society” has eradicated sickness (no more cancer), makes optimal marriage matches for citizens, puts people in the best job positions for their abilities, and has basically removed all the discomforts of life as we know it. There are even pills to keep you calm (there are always pills to keep you calm). Of course, not everyone is happy, and people are starting to wonder, and some are starting to learn.

This book is marketed as a romance, and I did find it be quite romantic. There’s a lot of love here, but it’s not just between two teenagers. There’s also love between friends and family. Maybe even a little self-love too. Condie’s written a great book for those of us who love YA fiction, and it’s worth losing sleep over. I mean, she made my heart swell every time I read the words of Dylan Thomas’ poem:

Do not go gentle into that good night.
Old age should burn and rave at the close of the day;
Rage, rage, against the dying of the light…






View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment