Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Another Book: Good Omens

Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Terry Pratchett

My review


rating: 5 of 5 stars
Normally I don't bother reading the foreword in a book, but this one I could not help but read. Partially because of Twitter and partially because the first sentence reads "People say: What was it like writing Good Omens?"

To explain the Twitter reason, well, I follow Neil Gaiman's tweets rather religiously; and that actually explains why I was intrigued by the first sentence of the foreword.

I think Good Omens has taken over favorite-place of all the Neil Gaiman books I have read (I have yet to read a Terry Prachett book other than this one). Books like this, which poke fun at everything in the world--especially Americans, religion and the British--offer rare moments of creativity and humor. Of course, you could argue that perhaps I do not read enough books out of the Science Fiction genre, but that is beside the point (I think).

Fact is, for me, Good Omens was and is hilarious. Before this, there was Christopher Moore's Lamb in my funny book. Honestly, I don't know where to place Good Omens. I will not give anything away, but for those of you who don't mind reading about a demon and an angel who actually prefer life on Earth as opposed to having either side win it all, read this book. This is one book that I thoroughly enjoyed and actually tried to drag out finishing it.

I borrowed this from the library, but have already ordered, and received my own copy. While I don't hope to drop my copy in the tub, I do aim to read it again and again and probably again; and even more so I do hope I can get it to be one of the hundreds of thousands of copies autographed by the authors. I do also intend to start in on Terry Pratchett's books and have been wondering about the book jacket's reference to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

View all my reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment