Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Yoga Moment

It was tough getting to yoga today. No, not because of traffic (there wasn't much) or loads of work (there was a lot of that). Rather, it was my neck. I think the combination of sleeping at an odd angle and working in InDesign all day did a number on my neck, and I seriously contemplated going to yoga. Everything felt incredibly strained and tight, but I convinced myself to go since Lauren tends to work with you through your "injuries."

Turns out, it was a good idea to get to yoga. After a chest opener and a few series consisting of lunges, virabadrasana, gate poses, etc. I realized that my neck felt significantly better. That was not even the best part of class. The best part came from something I normally hate: shoulder stand.

I never do well with inversions, and I pretty much hate them. My body never feels strong enough to be upside down, and soon I am in a controlled state of panic. Today though, it was different. For some reason my shoulder stand felt fantastic. I went up just fine and everything was steady for once. I didn't even feel scared. I have no idea how it happened, but it did. Of course, I did get to walk my feet up the wall, and Lauren had us belt our arms, but it was great all the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment