Sunday, January 31, 2010

Dark Chocolate Cake


Yesterday I made my first cake, ever. The cake is essentially a flourless-chocolate cake, but on Epicurious, it is filed under Dark Moist Chocolate Cake.

Before I go on, I must apologize to Ms. K. for not using the recipe she sent me. She sent me a similar recipe, but hers required a roasting pan, and this is something that does not live in my kitchen. On top of that, I just bought a springform pan, heatproof bowls and a dutch oven, so I just couldn't go out and buy a roasting pan. Sorry Ms. K., do forgive me! I did refer to your recipe while I used the Epicurious one, and I used cocoa powder for decoration.

My cocoa powder dusting was not very pretty, but it was better than the flat piece of white chocolate I tried to make. It ended up cracking when I tried to pull the parchment paper off, and then I really messed it up with a poor attempt at writing-with-chocolate.

Alright, back to the cake. It turned out pretty well, and everyone at the wine pairing dinner liked it. It's just extremely heavy for a non-chocolate-lover like me, and if you want to do a pairing, then use a Muscat.

Recipe:
16 oz. semisweet chocolate (the recipe calls for good quality, but I used Baker's brand)
10 T unsalted butter
5 extra-large eggs

  • Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  • Line the bottom of an 8.5 inch (I used a 9 inch) springform pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Coat inside of pan with nonstick cooking spray.
  • Chop chocolate into pieces. Cut butter into small chunks. Place chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl over just simmering water. Melt, stirring frequently, until smooth. Remove from heat.
  • Whisk eggs and a pinch of salt in bowl with an electric mixer, until mixture triples in volume, about 8 minutes. Fold chocolate mixture into egg mixture with a flexible rubber spatula until completely incorporated.
  • Pour mixture into prepared pan. Bake for 20 minutes. The center will still be a little soft. Remove from oven. Let cool at least 30 minutes before cutting. The center will sink a little as it cools. You can refrigerate the cake for up to 2 days (let sit at room temperature for 1 hour before serving).

No comments:

Post a Comment