Wednesday, January 20, 2010

What's One Egg in Metric?

It's award-season in Hollywood, and during this time of year, Seth and I are usually trying to play catch-up on all the potential Oscar nominations we can. Tonight, we finally watched Julie & Julia. It was quite nice.

I think it was the food. Or maybe, it was just Julie and Julia's love for food and cooking. Or maybe it was that the movie appeals to food lovers of all sorts (and not just so-called "foodies") in the same way that Julia Child's methods appeals to cooks of all sorts.

Beyond the food and the cooking, there were little moments of movie bliss.

When Julie Powell says, "Is there anything better than butter? Think it over, anytime you taste something that's delicious beyond imagining and you say 'What's in this?' the answer is always going to be butter. The day there is a meteorite rushing toward Earth and we have thirty days to live, I am going to spend it eating butter. Here is my final word on the subject, you can never have too much butter," my final word on this is exactly.

And then there were the moments when Julie's mom hangs up on Julie at the end of their phone calls without saying "bye." These are such small moments to love, but I loved them because that's just what my mom does to me. It's always the little things.

If you need a more whimsical escape from real-life, do watch Julie & Julia. At the very least, it's an interesting glimpse into Julia Child's journey to occupy herself in Paris: From searching for a French cookbook printed in English to mastering a quick chopping technique to converting metric measurements to English measurements--it's fascinating.

1 comment:

  1. now i wanna see it...i didnt think it would appeal to me...but hey - i like to eat!

    ReplyDelete