Saturday, January 9, 2010

Mythago Wood

Mythago Wood Mythago Wood by Robert Holdstock


My rating: 3 of 5 stars
I'm not quite sure how I feel about Robert Holdstock's Mythago Wood. I borrowed it from the library because Neil Gaiman tweeted about Holdstock's passing and this book in November 2009.

While it was an interesting read, but I didn't quite get it. In the beginning of the book I found myself a little spooked and mystified by the mythagos and Ryhope Wood. Part of my confusion may stem from the edition I read, which was the book club one and the book jacket's synopsis reversed the character names. Instead of "Chris Huxley pursues his beloved huntress through this mysterious altered reality, always challenged by his brother Steven, who has become as primitive and powerful as the savage, dark mythago characters whom Steven now leads," the jacket should read, "Steven Huxley purses his beloved huntress...always challenged by his brother Chris."

It was difficult to become totally invested in the characters and story, but I was entertained enough to finish the book despite my library due date. In the end, I find myself intrigued enough by the references to Arthur and Robin Hood to read more of Robert Holdstock's books.

View all my reviews >>

No comments:

Post a Comment