Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Another Book From the Teen Section of the Bookstore

Wings (Wings, #1) Wings by Aprilynne Pike


My rating: 3 of 5 stars
Entertaining enough. That is what Aprilynne Pike's Wings was for me. It kept me occupied, just enough, on the elliptical machine at the gym. However, it was missing something. I noticed it while I was reading and finally realized that the characters were not developed enough for me.

Wings starts with Laurel Sewell meeting David Lawson on her first day of public school (she was homeschooled until tenth grade). Their relationship/friendship immediately blossoms, and David is incredibly non-judgmental of Laurel--she is a vegan; she does not get cold, despite the cooling fall weather; and always wants to be outdoors. Then Laurel notices a bump on her back which quickly turns into a flower. David barely blinks at this revelation when Laurel turns to him for helps. When Laurel learns that she is a faerie from a mysterious green-eyed, green-haired faerie named Tamami, David is as calm and accepting as ever. I think he might even take it better than Laurel.

It was hard to take seriously. Everything moved along so quickly that I only had a shallow connection with the characters. I really did not fall in love with this the way I usually do, which is too bad. Pike really did put a different and interesting spin on faeries, and I liked the connection to King Arthur. Hopefully the next book will dig deeper.

View all my reviews >>

No comments:

Post a Comment