Monday, February 23, 2009

Everyone's a Little Bit Dorky

One of my non-fact based theories is that we all get dorky about something. For me, it's a range of things. I love Angels baseball, but I also love watching certain movies again and again (LOTR is a big one here), I knit and sew, sci-fi fantasy is my favorite book genre, and then there's Twilight.

This weekened--specifically on Sunday--I got to dork it out over Twilight at the Salute to Twilight in San Francisco. Thankfully I have a friend from home who is just into Twilight as I am (although, I like to think that maybe she's just a little bit worse than me in her own way). She flew up from the rock and we braved the throngs of teenie boppers together. Okay, truth be told, there were actually a lot of thirty-somethings there, and that made us feel so much better.

The salute actually took place over three days, but attendance on Sunday meant sitting in on question-answer sessions with Rachelle Lefevre (Victoria), Ashley Greene (Alice), and Jackson Rathbone (Jasper). This was by far the best part of the day.

Rachelle Lefevre was nothing short of awesome. She was so animated, bubbly, and happy that you couldn't help but like her, the person, even though Victoria is so bad. I loved that she admitted that her celebrity crush has been, and always will be Johnny Depp. I might not be a huge JD fan (sadly, I did not watch 21 Jump Street), but this confession, along with her being a Joey McIntyre fan made her so much more of a real person to me. If you are in your early 30s or late 20s, you get this since these were exactly the heartthrobs of our days as teenie boppers.

Jackson Rathbone and Ashley Greene were fun, but Rachelle Lefevre had so much personality that she was my favorite. I wish the vendors had been better, and I am not sure I will ever go again, but I am glad I tried it out once.

Next there's Wonder-Con in a matter of days and the ultimate, Comic-Con, in a matter of months. Call it dorky, but I say it's got huge potential to be fun and definitely worth experiencing once. Besides, this is a HUGE year for pop culture and super hero movies. Just think, the Watchmen, Harry Potter, Transformers, X-Men Origins Wolverine, G.I. Joe, and New Moon. There's got to be more, but that's what I am looking forward to in 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment