Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Weather

"You don't like the cold." It wasn't a question.

Geez, Edward might as well have been talking to me. There are times in my life when I think I never really belonged in Hawaii, and then I realize that there are things about my home of which I will never let go. Family is numero uno of course, and then there's the weather.

When I first moved to Southern California I thought that I would never live by the beach; at the time I thought everything was backwards. It could be hot in Whittier, and then you drive 40 minutes West to the beach and it would be cool...a little too cool. Then I moved to El Segundo. It was then that I and figured out the beach life in SoCal meant temperate weather and perfect summers. How can you complain about 80 degrees in the summer and laying out on warm sand?

It was the move to the Bay Area that made me realize that I would never let go of home. In comparison to other parts of the country or the world, low 30s in the winter is warm, but that's freezing to me. Really, anything below 70 is just uncomfortable to me. In other words, the extended period of below 70 up here in the Bay Area is a bit torturous.

At this time of year, I can only dream about wearing shorts and a tank top rather than jeans, a sweater and a coat. *Sigh

No comments:

Post a Comment